Monday, January 21, 2013

Elmwood Short?

I've had some comments that ELMWOOD is too short, or that people wished it continued.  On the one hand, I do believe in "Always leave them wanting more!" On the other, I've also been daydreaming quite a bit about writing a sequel - already!

The reason I left the book where I did is because, after separating, those characters will go through a LOT of changes in a very SHORT amount of time, and really become two very different people.  And though the first book is relatively tame, the second would have to include many scenes of sex, drinking, drugs, and rock & roll.  Many barriers have built up between Elmwood and Dino, so when they finally reconnect, it does take a while to break them down. In writing that story, I'm going to have to find a way to keep the spirit of that unique grade school friendship alive, even when it is threatened by high school, new friends, and the many horrors of the stoner 70's.

There are also MANY untold stories that take place during the same time period as the first book; for example, I never said a word about Elmwood and Dino being Altar Boys and their occasional adventures "backstage" at the St. Joseph Church.  It's possible I could drop these into the next installment as "flashbacks" or collect them as another volume altogether - something like ELMWOOD: THE LOST STORIES.

At any rate, these are daydreams right now, as well they should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment