Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Editing Room Tally

























Today I leave Pacific Ocean Post in Santa Monica (stairs to my editing room, above). I've already been here three days longer than originally planned (thanks Peter!).

While I can still remember, I thought I'd try and reconstruct all my editing rooms since Soundelux closed.

1. John Ross Mansion up Mt. Olympus in Laurel Canyon. Free meals, insane views, met Tom Hanks. Wow! (two weeks)

2. Universal backlot, in the same building I worked on Bill Cosby's "Ghost Dad" decades ago. Modern but claustrophobic. Fun lunches, though. (two weeks, during the heat wave.)

3. Formosa Building 66 - 1st floor. Okay room, but love the funky old Danetracks building.

4. Formosa 66 upstairs - great editing suite (which is why I got kicked out, eventually) and right next to the men's rooms.

5. Formosa Main Editorial Building. REALLY old structure, plain white edit room. NOT very inspiring!

6. POP - Pacific Ocean Post in Santa Monica. Recently bought by Formosa and undergoing intense, noisy renovations, this is nonetheless an amazing facility.  Great location, cool room with a window, amazing structure (lots of character), snacks, friendly and pretty women at the front desk, decent restaurants nearby (If I didn't have trouble walking it would be even better.) It also smells like sweet tea and honey downstairs, which is how EVERY place of work should smell!

Cons, and they are big: tough (though not impossible) morning drive, totally freeway-congested drive home East on the 10 (going 10 mph!) Parking lot access, but can't drive at lunch or you lose your spot.

Next week is yet another new room at Formosa 66... at least, that IS the plan!

UPDATE

So, no sooner do I sing the praises of POP than they start tearing the front desk apart! (I guess I'm the only one who thought it was cool.)


No comments:

Post a Comment