Thursday, June 6, 2013

More Fun From The Record Sale!

I was actually a bit disappointed when I first hit the $1 record sale last Saturday, but almost as soon as I got home, I realized that many of the records I picked were much more valuable than they seemed. At least a couple of them might sell in the +30 range, and there were quite a few that could go anywhere from $7 to $15 and beyond.

But the coolest find was when I returned at around noon.  Remember, at that point ALL the boxes of records had been pawed through by at least 50 hardened sellers & collectors.... yet I always find stuff that everybody else has somehow overlooked.

Amazingly, there was a signed Harry Chapin LP that I snatched immediately. I'm sure it was passed over because of a rip along the bottom front, and an identical rip on the back (probably where a promo sticker had been.) But right in the middle, clear as day, was a dedication from Harry to an "Ed" at the Tonight Show!


Though I was excited, I knew the signature hadn't been authenticated, so I listed it for 32.99 as a Collectible on Amazon, figurine the rips would keep most buyers away.

But Sharon suspected it might be worth more; she did a little digging and discovered that lesser Harry signatures were going from $300-$900, and up into the 4-figure stratosphere! (Seems absurd, but I actually saw a listing for $5,000.) When I did a quick visual match with other known Harry signatures, it was clear I had The Real Deal. I tried an online autograph authentication service and they confirmed, and a certificate is on the way.

So, now my plan is to get a nice framing job so that the ripped bottom portion is not visible, and start selling high on Ebay and see what happens.  There's no way we're not gonna more than make up our investment of $1 (plus authentication and framing.)

I love records!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work guys. I found a copy of the first issue of a magazine called "Lucky Peach" in somebody's recycling pile about a block from here. I grabbed it because it had an interesting cover, thought I'd use it for a collage. But then I got home and I looked it up on eBay, and saw it was in demand--- I sold it for $85!!!!

    ReplyDelete